University of Groningen, Faculty of Arts
Lecturers Modern History (1.6 fte)
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Vacancy number 214189-90E
The Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5,000 students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of knowledge every day. The faculty offers a wide range of degree programmes: 15 Bachelor's programmes and over 35 Master's specializations. Our research, which is internationally widely acclaimed, covers the following fields: Archaeology, Cultural Studies, History, International Relations, Journalism, Language and Literary Studies, and Linguistics.
The Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen is looking for two lecturers (2 x 0.8 fte) for temporary appointments lasting two years with the prospect of appointment for an indefinite period to teach and conduct research in the field of Modern History (1789-1945). We are looking for two excellent, enthusiastic, versatile colleagues who are able to strengthen our varied teaching curriculum in modern history, based on innovative and pioneering research. The teaching will cover the history of politics and culture of the Netherlands and Europe and non-Western history. Research in these fields in modern history can range from global history with a focus on imperialism and colonialism to the history of material culture, from the history of politics and policy to the history of culture and identity in modern society, from Dutch history to the history of Eastern Asia. Knowledge of or experience with applications of digital humanities in teaching and the own research is an advantage.
The lecturers will join the department of Modern History and the department of History of Governance and Politics in Modern Times. These departments are together responsible for the modern history curriculum. The research will form part of the Groningen Research Institute for the Study of Culture (ICOG), and within ICOG the Centre for Historical Studies (http://www.rug.nl/research/icog/research/research-centres/research-centre-for-historical-studies?lang=en).
Duties associated with the position:
- teaching and supervising theses in the field of Modern History within the full-time and part-time degree programmes in History (BA and MA) and related degree programmes, including the Research Master in Modern History and International Relations, various degree programme-related and Faculty Minors and the University Honours Programme
- conducting research and publishing in national and international journals, as well as initiating (independently or jointly) and implementing national and international research projects
- playing an active and stimulating role in the organization of teaching and research, including administrative duties related to the teaching.
In addition to a number of basic requirements set by the University of Groningen, such as excellent social, communication, presentation and coaching skills as well as a results-oriented attitude, we are looking for a candidate with a PhD in the field of modern history, who has an adequate command of Dutch or who is willing to learn Dutch within two years, and who also
in the area of teaching:
- has extensive experience with teaching university-level modern history
- has gained the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or is prepared to do so within a year
- is an excellent teacher, as demonstrated by positive teaching evaluations
- is demonstrably able to make concrete contributions to the development of course units, partly by actively linking teaching to research.
In the area of research:
- has set out an individual research line in publications that dovetails with the research programme of the Centre for Historical Studies, which is available from the contact persons
- has international experience and an international network.
In the area of management and organization:
- is able to make a constructive contribution to interdisciplinary collaboration and a friendly atmosphere within the department
- has demonstrable administrative and organization skills.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen is offering a salary based on qualifications and experience of between € 3,259 (scale 11) and € 5,070 (scale 12 of the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities) gross per month for a full-time position. The appointment is a temporary one for a period of two years, with the prospect of appointment for an indefinite period.
A presentation or lecture may form part of the selection procedure. Interviews are planned for the week starting 22 or 29 September 2014.
Date of entry into employment: 1 January 2015.
You may apply for this position by submitting a letter, curriculum vitae and list of publications before 17 August 2014 Dutch local time by means of the application form, see: http://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/job-opportunities/overview?details=00347-0000005685
The University aims to offer men and women equal career opportunities. Because women are underrepresented in certain fields, they are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please note: don't send applications directly to the e-mail address of the contacts.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
Prof. Mineke Bosch, Professor of Modern History, phone +31 50 3635993/+31 612558337, e-mail: email@example.com