IT Assistant, Level 1 (Provisional) - Network Engineering
|Location:||New York, United States|
BOROUGH OF MANHATTAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE/CUNY
JOIN THE PREMIER URBAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE IN THE NATION
Please see our Website for a detailed description: www.bmcc.cuny.edu/jobs
IT Assistant, Level 1 (Provisional) - Network Engineering – Job ID#10631
I.T. Assistants perform entry-level professional work in technology-related disciplines.
While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Assistants work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar based on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving minor technology problems, monitoring activities, and maintaining documentation. They have latitude for independent initiative and judgment, under supervision.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
Assists in managing multi-site BMCC switching and routing networks for all locations (4) and making sure all services are running smooth. The Junior Network Engineer will be responsible to resolve the issues related to network connectivity, internet access, LAN/WAN, Cisco switches and routers, vlans and QoS etc.
This individual also assists in analyzing and resolving network hardware and software problems in a timely manner, and provides training/supervision to full and/or part time IT Support staff as needed. Provides hands-on physical, onsite support for data center activities including monitoring, hardware implementation, and data center logistics. Responsible for infrastructure documentation being updated and accurate when infrastructure changes are made for requests, initiatives, and projects. Participates in on-call rotation as escalation point for all network related incidents and problems.
1. High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
2. A minimum of six months of full-time experience in a computer or technology-related position. Experience that is more than 20 hours per week and less than 35 hours per week may be counted at 50% of the requirement (i.e., two months of part time experience equal to one month full time experience)
3. Additional experience and/or education that can be met by ONE of the following: An additional three years and six months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; an Associate's degree plus 18 months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
4. Demonstrated English Language proficiency
5. A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
Strong customer communication skills
2 years of experience in Cisco network switches (3750, 3560, 6500)
Knowledge of DHCP/DNS with IPAM and hands-on experience with Infoblox
Experience in layer 2 switch network and some understanding of Layer 3 routing protocols
Knowledge of monitoring tools like Mazu, NetMRI, Wireshark, and netflow
Experience in building ACL's on Core switches, SNMP monitoring, ios upgrades, TACACS administration
Certification in Cisco Switching
LAN technologies - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 10 Gigabit Ethernet
Infrastructure services - DHCP, DNS, SMTP, FTP, TFTP
Routing Protocols - OSPF, EIGRP
New Hire: $41,175*
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
Closing Date: 06/6/14
How to apply: www.cuny.edu/employment.html
Click on Search Job Listings.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/AMERICAN DISABILITY ACT EMPLOYER/IRCA VERIFICATION REQUIRED-NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE
Please apply online