Osaka University, Graduate School of Human Sciences
Associate Professor in Comparative Social Policy and Social Welfare Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Osaka University, one of Japan’s leading research universities, is seeking applications to fill a full-time position at associate professor level in the Graduate School of Human Sciences (http://www.hus.osaka-u.ac.jp/) in the area of social policy and social welfare studies. Ranked among the world’s top 50 universities and third in research output domestically, Osaka University is Japan’s largest national university in terms of undergraduate student body. The successful candidate will have a strong record as both a researcher and educator in the field of international and comparative social policy, social security, or social welfare studies.
1. Faculty: Graduate School of Human Sciences, Dept. of Sociology
2. Position: Associate Professor. Initial appointment of 3 years. A two-year extension is possible.
3. Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Teaching. Candidates should be able to lecture in English on comparative social policy from an international perspective, with a focus on social welfare issues. We are seeking a scholar with fieldwork experience as well as theoretical expertise.
(2) Research. The appointee will maintain an active research program and contribute to the School’s research output.
(3) Administration. Attendance at faculty meetings, participation in committee work and including invigilating at exams.
(1) Ph.D. or equivalent in one of the following: Social Policy, Sociology, Social Welfare, Political Science, or Economics. Advanced Ph.D. candidates who have completed all but the dissertation (ABD) may also be considered.
(2) Native-level fluency in spoken and written English.
(3) Some basic ability to communicate in Japanese is desirable in order to fulfill administrative responsibilities.
(4) Willingness to relocate and live in Osaka.
5. Starting date:
October 16, 2014 or as soon as possible thereafter, but no later than March 31, 2015.
6. Deadline for applications: All documents must arrive by June 15, 2014.
|Primary Category:||Social Sciences
|Secondary Categories:||Asian History / Studies
East Asian History / Studies
Government and Public Service
Health and Health Care
Japanese History / Studies
Labor History / Studies
Political History / Studies
Social History / Studies
Women, Gender, and Sexuality