National University of Singapore, Department of History and Department of Political Science
Postdoc, relating to hegemonic transitions and great power relationships. Especially those with expertise in China-USA relationship.
|Institution Type:||College / University|
INVITATION TO APPLY
The Departments of History and Political Science, National University of Singapore, invite applications for a Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF).
AREA OF EXPERTISE
The Departments of History and Political Science are developing interdisciplinary research cooperation in the History and Theory of International Relations, with particular reference to the 20th century and problems of theorizing cultures and institutions of power in the global order. The successful candidate will be someone who holds a PhD degree (or is awaiting conferment) in either discipline, and has research interests and expertise relating to hegemonic transitions and great power relationships. We are particularly interested in candidates with relevant expertise in the China-USA relationship. General areas of interest include: the relation between material power, collective ideas, and change; the extent to which power is an agent or an impediment to change; the maintenance of social and political stability in global order; the ways in which the past—culture, identity, memory, and historical legacy—shapes global order and conditions of change. The Fellow will work closely with faculty members in the Departments on the research project being developed in these areas, and will be domiciled in the most appropriate department.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The terms and conditions for the Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF) are as follows:
1. Contract to be awarded as soon as possible, for one year and renewable, upon review, for a second year.
2. A stipend of S$5,500 per month.
3. Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits.
4. Travel Assistance, payable once only, as follows.
- $2,000 for the Postdoctoral Fellow
- $2,000 for spouse
- $1,000 for each child up to a max of 3 children (up to age 18 years and for those of schooling age, in receipt of full-time education)
The above travel assistance is a contribution towards expenses incurred by the appointee and his/her dependants in re-locating to Singapore. Such expenses refer to costs for travel, packing, transportation and insurance of personal and professional effects as well as settling-in expenses.
The travel allowance is contingent upon the Postdoctoral Fellow's completion of his/her initial one-year contract. In the event that the appointee does not fulfill the initial one-year contract, the appointee shall be liable to refund the University a proportionate amount of the travel assistance granted to him/her and his/her dependants on appointment.
5. Medical benefits in accordance with the Medical Benefit Plan
6. Vacation leave of 28 days per calendar year
7. Conference funding support of up to S$3,000 for each term of appointment, following normal approval procedures, to present research papers in local and overseas conferences.
8. One month’s notice for termination or salary in lieu of notice.
In addition, the postdoctoral fellow will be expected to
- Present at least one seminar a year;
- Give first right of refusal for at least one publication to a Department/Faculty-produced journal, where appropriate;
- Contribute to the activities of graduate students;
The appointed PDF may be required to participate in some part-time teaching of up to 3 hours per week without additional pay.
Interested scholars preferably submit the soft copies of the following as soon as possible:
Covering letter and statement of research intentions and interests
Sample of recent academic writing
Names and particulars of two academic referees
The search will continue until an appointment is made. Enquires may be directed to:
Professor Brian P. Farrell, Dept. of History: email@example.com
Professor Ted G. Hopf, Dept. of Political Science: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please address and submit documents to:
Professor Brian P. Farrell
Department of History
National University of Singapore
Visit our websites at www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ for information on the Faculty, and www.fas.nus.edu.sg/hist/ and www.fas.nus.edu.sg/pol/ for information on the Departments of History and Political Science.
|Primary Category:||American History / Studies
Political History / Studies