City University of New York - Graduate Center, Office of Human Resources
Human Resources Specialist
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||New York, United States|
Human Resources Specialist
Job ID: 10468
Department: Office of Human Resources
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Closing Date: April 21, 2014
Campus Specific Information
This is an excluded position.
The Graduate Center defines the standard of contemporary graduate education: rigorous academic training and globally significant research. It is recognized for outstanding scholarship across the humanities, sciences, and social sciences, and is integral to the intellectual and cultural vitality of New York City. Through its extensive public programs, the Graduate Center hosts a wide range of events - lectures, conferences, book discussions, art exhibits, concerts, and dance and theatre - that enrich and inform.
The Office of Human Resources serves The Graduate Center, the School of Professional Studies, the Graduate School of Journalism, the Macaulay Honors College, and the School of Public Health. Reporting to the Executive Director of Human Resources, the HR Specialist will provide the chief administrative support to the Executive Director of Human Resources on a wide range of personnel matters and serves as the recruitment specialist. Exercises confidentiality and discretion while implementing CUNY and Graduate Center recruitment and appointment policies. He/She assists the Executive Director of Human Resources in advising faculty and staff on various HR policies and procedures.
The following responsibilities include:
- Administers the recruitment process for Instructional and Non-Instructional Staff as it applies to CUNYfirst and University policy and procedures, including the Job Posting approval process and applicant tracking within the Talent Acquisition Management (TAM) module of CUNYfirst.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on employment advertisements; places and tracks recruitment advertisements.
- Negotiates and coordinates purchasing arrangements with outside service providers and vendors.
- Serves as college-level expert, liaison, and CUNYFirst trainer on Human Capital Management (HCM), Position Management and Talent Acquisition Management (TAM), consults and collaborates with other areas as needed.
- Audits and reviews job descriptions and other job related data including posting standards, recruitment plans, advertisement requests, organization charts, and personnel records.
- Prepares and collects various materials for the Graduate Center's HEO Screening Committee's review and approval.
- Maintains an electronic tracking system for processing the recruitment and other personnel actions.
- Assists in developing and maintaining a database for managing FMLA leaves.
- Assists in the update and maintenance of the Human Resources website.
- Serves as an assistant coordinator for the college's annual Employee Recognition Ceremony.
- Assists in compiling personnel histories, policies, and practices to facilitate responses from the Office of Human Resources.
- Supervises staff as assigned.
- Develops and administers processes and policies regarding Human Resources.
- Advises employees and managers on Human Resources policies and guidelines; provides a high level of customer service in assisting members of the College community
- Supervises and administers one or more human resources programs such as recruiting, pay administration, employee orientation, employee benefits, data entry and recordkeeping, and performance appraisal/reappointment practices
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of CUNY rules and regulations, relevant laws and guidelines, collective bargaining agreements, and College policies, and applies these to his/her areas of responsibility
- Investigates regarding sensitive employee issues or complaints
- Helps create innovative communications such as manuals, web pages, or employee meetings and provides these to the College community
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
The ideal candidate will possess proficient knowledge of MS Office products such as Word and Excel and experience with Enterprise Resources Planning (PeopleSoft/CUNYFirst, Oracle/Banner); ability to develop and manage various tracking systems; experience with project management; and ability to produce ad hoc reports. CUNY, Higher Education setting, and/or Human Resources experience is a plus. Must be detail oriented and possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
How to Apply:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email it to email@example.com. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***