Lakeside School, History
Upper School History Teacher 14-15
|Institution Type:||Preparatory School|
|Location:||Washington, United States|
Upper School History Teacher - 2014-15
Full Time Appointment (1.0 FTE)
Lakeside School, an independent coeducational day school located in North Seattle, Washington, is currently recruiting for an Upper School history position, starting late August 2014. History teachers at Lakeside aim to broaden understanding, stimulate thoughtful reflection, and encourage insights into the experiences of all people. Our program provides a rigorous program with high support, using classroom time for discussion of texts and ideas. We are committed to a global approach at every level, believing that to prepare students for a 21st century world, there needs to be an appreciation of societies across place and time.
The upper school history teacher will report to the History & Social Sciences Department Head and the Upper School Director, and join a highly collaborative, innovative, and experienced faculty. Specific responsibilities for this position include the following:
• Teaching four sections of core courses in world history, upper-level electives, or a combination of these.
• Providing academic support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, consulting with them about their writing, and the like), as needed;
• Collaborating and participating actively in the work of the Department on innovative curriculum development, project-based learning, and assessment;
• Attending department and faculty meetings;
• Acting as an advisor for 8 to 10 Upper School students;
• Active participation in the life of the school community, which includes assuming at least one additional out-of the classroom duty, such as advising a student club, joining a standing committee, or coaching.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Successful candidates will hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in history or a related field and will have a passion for history and for interacting with high school aged students, in and outside of the classroom.
• An advanced degree in history, particularly in world history, is desired.
• Prior history or social studies teaching experience at the secondary level is expected; preference will be given to candidates with world history teaching experience.
• The ability to teach upper-level history electives is also desired, but not required. Interest in and experience with inter-disciplinary teaching will be considered an asset.
• The candidate should be comfortable with current educational technology, especially blended learning platforms and strategies, and should be proficient in PC/Windows programs.
• Candidates must satisfactorily complete a nationwide criminal background check.
Compensation and Benefits
Lakeside School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding faculty candidates who will add to the racial, cultural. economic and gender diversity of our school community. We provide a competitive compensation package which includes, but is not limited to, a monthly salary, excellent health and welfare benefits, access to funds for professional development, housing down payment assistance program, and school-provided lunches. Additionally, Lakeside offers Faculty and Staff opportunities to participate in non-classroom teaching programs such as Global Service Learning, Summer School, coaching, etc., for extra compensation.
Lakeside School was founded in 1919, and currently enrolls 811 students in grades 5 through 12 from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds.
The School’s Mission and the shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits needed to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via the online application located on Lakeside’s website (www.lakesideschool.org). From the home page choose About Us / Employment / View and Apply For Available Jobs.
Lakeside School is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking to diversify its workplace.
|Primary Category:||World History / Studies