Iowa State University, Interior Desing
Assistant Professor - Interior Design
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Iowa, United States|
The Department of Interior Design is seeking one full-time (9 month), tenure-track assistant professor with demonstrated ability to teach design studios as well as lecture/seminar courses in one or more areas of specialization. Applicants must demonstrate specialization in one or more of the following areas: environmental systems (lighting, climate control, acoustics), sustainability (environmental, built environment, cultural heritage), globalization and multi-cultural design, design outreach (regional, national, and global), design communication (rapid visualization, graphic representation, verbal, written), interior materials, institutional design, commercial/contract design, and/or human factors.
The position offers opportunities to work with undergraduate and graduate students. Responsibilities include: teaching undergraduate design studios, lectures, and seminar courses; maintaining an active record of creative research and scholarship in interior design related areas; advising undergraduate students; mentoring and teaching graduate students, and participating in service activities within the department, college, and university.
The Department of Interior Design is a vibrant program in the College of Design at Iowa State University. It is CIDA accredited, and one of seven distinguished departments within the College, along with Architecture, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Integrated Studio Arts, Landscape Architecture, and Community and Regional Planning.
- Terminal Degree in Design or Design Related Discipline (Ph.D., M.F.A., M. Arch., or equivalent).
- Minimum of one degree (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate) in Interior Design or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, students, staff, and/or community.
- NCIDQ certification.
- LEED certification.
- Professional practice experience in interior design or related discipline(s).
- Demonstrated evidence of national and/or international scholarship in specialized aspect(s) of interior design.
- College level teaching experience.
- Interdisciplinary instruction and/or research.
- Record of seeking and securing grant funds.
- Innovative pedagogy, including use of emerging technology to enhance learning.
Please be prepared to enter or attach the following documents:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
3) Statement of teaching and research/creative/scholarship philosophy.
4) Contact information for three references
In addition to the online application, candidates are required to send a CD to the search committee chair prior to the closing date for the initial candidate screening (1/14/14). Include a writing sample (and/or evidence of research accomplishments), a portfolio of creative work or scholarship (up to five examples maximum), and if available, samples of syllabi, schedule, and assignments of courses taught with examples of student work (up to ten examples maximum).
Send CD to:
Diane Al Shihabi, PhD, ASID, IDEC, WRID
Chair, Search Committee
158 College of Design
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011-3092
If you wish to have your work returned to you, include a self-addressed envelope with pre-paid postage.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you have questions regarding this vacancy, please email Diane Al Shihabi at email@example.com or call 515-294-8383.
|Secondary Categories:||Art and Art History