The University of Iowa, Pentacrest Museums
Director of The University of Iowa Pentacrest Museums
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Iowa, United States|
The University of Iowa (UI), seeks a dynamic and energetic leader to serve as director of the Pentacrest Museums to provide vision, leadership, and oversight of the Museums’ curatorial, educational, and public engagement functions.
The University of Iowa Pentacrest Museums are the Old Capitol Museum and the UI Museum of Natural History. Serving as Iowa’s first state capitol from 1846 to 1857, the Old Capitol represents the pioneering spirit of Iowa and takes visitors back in time as they step into the beautifully restored building featuring a mix of new gallery spaces and period decorated rooms. The Old Capitol Museum serves as a center of cultural and civic discourse for the State of Iowa.
The Museum of Natural History, the second oldest museum in the United States west of the Mississippi River, has been Iowa’s gateway to the global environment for over 150 years. Its mission is to inspire in visitors of all ages understanding and a sense of wonder, discovery, respect and responsibility for our natural and cultural worlds, through exhibits, educational programs and collections, as well as through linkages with UI research and activities.
The University of Iowa is an Equal Employment Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The director’s priorities will be to:
- Develop, implement, evaluate and direct the Pentacrest Museums strategic vision
- Increase public engagement with the two museums and Mobile Museum.
- Direct the fiscal and administrative operations of the museums including creating and monitoring budget, strategic planning, and hiring of personnel.
- Oversee renovations and capital improvements to the Pentacrest Museums.
- Maintain legal compliance (federal, state and international).
- Oversee development of temporary and long-term exhibitions for both museums, as well as a mobile museum.
- Liaise with faculty, faculty advisory boards, and administration to create interdisciplinary relations on campus.
- Maintain donor relations, obtain grants and coordinate fundraising efforts with UI Foundation.
- Direct public relations and marketing activities for the Pentacrest Museums.
- Promote research and educational activities related to the collections of the Pentacrest Museums.
Required qualifications include:
- Advanced degree in relevant academic discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5-7 years of museum leadership experience.
- Superb strategic planning, writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, ability to promote the museums at the university and to engage Iowans statewide.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks while achieving a high degree of accuracy.
- Successful experience in significant fundraising.
Desired qualifications include:
- Terminal degree in relevant academic discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the evolving role of technology in all aspects of museum practice and promotion.
- Proven ability to develop a strategic plan to achieve organizational goals.
- Strong management, mentoring and team-building skills.
- Demonstrated experience in collections advocacy and understanding of collections management.
For additional information about the position and to apply access http://jobs.uiowa.edu/ (reference requisition #63644).