American University - Sharjah, International Studies
Head of the Department of International Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||United Arab Emirates|
Applications are invited for the position of Head of the Department of International Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences at the American University of Sharjah (AUS).
- A PhD in Political Science, History, Anthropology, Philosophy, or Sociology.
- A current rank of professor or associate professor.
- Experience with North American liberal arts education.
- Demonstrated leadership experience, preferably in chairing a department of International Studies, Political Science, History, Anthropology, Philosophy, or Sociology.
- A consistent record of excellent teaching, research and service.
- Experience in program accreditation and curriculum development.
- Experience in faculty evaluation and mentoring.
- Interest in promoting interdisciplinarity.
AUS is located in the Emirate of Sharjah, adjacent to Dubai, UAE. Founded in 1997 by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qassimi, AUS is an independent, not-for-profit coeducational university in the Gulf, serving some 5,500 students of 82 nationalities. The International Studies Department currently has 18 full-time faculty members in six academic disciplines (Political Science, History, Anthropology, Philosophy, Sociology, and Psychology). The Department offers a well-subscribed Bachelor of Arts degree in International Studies as well as a number of discipline-specific and interdisciplinary minors. It is a dynamic and collegial department with a steadily growing number of students and an active and motivated student organization. More information about the Department may be found online at the university website http://www.aus.edu/info/200168/college_of_arts_and_science/284/department_of_international_studies.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest in the position highlighting experience and accomplishments of relevance, a current curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of three references. Review of the applications will begin on 15 February, 2014; applications may be submitted until the position is filled. The anticipated start date of the position is late August, 2014. Application materials should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org