Associate Director of Academy Advisement (Academic Advising Manager)
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||New York, United States|
Job Title: Associate Director of Academy Advisement (Academic Advising Manager)
Job ID: 9312
Closing Date: November 6, 2013
Location: Queensborough CC
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Manages the development and operations of academic counseling services.
- Develops and coordinates campus efforts to provide a comprehensive academic advisement model and protocol; assists with strategic planning
- Supervises an academic advisement center; oversees counseling activities to provide consistently reliable information to students
- Works with academic departments to develop faculty advisement components
- Collaborates with other campus offices to provide smooth and coordinated access to academic counseling services in order to enhance student performance and retention
- Develops workshops and other training to utilize advising technologies
- Oversees the development of advisement brochures and sample study programs
- Assesses academic counseling activities by tracking student progress and evaluating advisement system; recommends enhancements
- Organizes and facilitates ongoing training on use of advising technologies
- May manage professional and clerical staff; may monitor unit budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advising Manager
Higher Education Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Queensborough Community College's Office of Academy Advisement consists of five academies by disciplines:
- Business Academy
- Health-Related Sciences Academy
- Liberal Arts Academy (including Education and Criminal Justice)
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Academy
- Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Academy
Each of the five Academies provides students with special learning opportunities and activities, along with personalized guidance from an Academy Adviser. All full-time students will participate in at least two high-impact learning experiences such as service-learning, e-portfolios, learning communities, writing intensive courses, and more.
The Associate Director of Academy Advisement will:
- Report directly to the Director of Academy Advisement.
- Provide direct supervision to Academy Advising Specialists, Academy Advising Coordinators, CUNY Office Assistants, and various part-time staff.
- Manage and direct one or more Academy Advisement Centers.
- Work closely with the Director of Academy Advisement in the planning of operational policies and procedures for the Academy Advisement centers and creation of departmental, institutional, and divisional policies and procedures as needed or requested.
- Work with the Director of Academy Advisement to provide continual communication and training to staff and faculty with regard to changes in advising services.
- Hire, train, supervise, and annually evaluate assigned staff with regard to the daily delivery of services.
- Work with Director and Academy Faculty Coordinators in the delivery of academy specific activities.
- Plan for the personal delivery of services at all Academy Advisement centers on a daily, weekly, quarterly, and annual basis with focused attention on retention and degree completion objectives.
- Prepare reports of advising services on a monthly and annual basis and other reports as requested.
- Participate in appropriate campus activities.
- Maintain tracking systems of student contact and classifications for reporting purposes (CUNYfirst, Starfish Retention Management).
- When needed, assist students with interpretation of transfer requirements for articulation agreements and general transfer options, if applicable.
- Demonstrate and model the professional employment skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility, and teamwork.
Evening and weekend hours required.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
- Three (3) or more years of management experience in higher education setting
- Supervisory experience in academic advisement or in related higher education setting
- Experience with data-driven decision making processes
- Excellent communications and inter-personal skills especially with students
- Experience in working with diverse student populations
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft and DegreeWorks academic audit systems
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must provide a resume and cover letter.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.