History/Social Science Faculty - Fall 2013
|Institution Type:||Preparatory School|
|Location:||Illinois, United States|
|Position:||Full Professor, Instructor|
The History/Social Science Faculty of the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy (IMSA) invites you to join us in shaping and implementing the next generation of innovative and engaging history/social science curricula. IMSA is actively seeking applications for a full-time position of History/Social Science faculty for fall 2013. This position includes teaching core courses in twentieth-century world studies and world religion/philosophy. The ability to teach the American Studies survey or elective courses in history or the social sciences would be desirable. Applicants should have a strong commitment to interdisciplinary education, a passion for the material, and a deep interest in helping students succeed. IMSA faculty members are not required to hold teacher certification, rather we look for individuals with content expertise that have a passion for working with and educating students.
The internationally recognized Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® (IMSA) develops creative, ethical leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. As a teaching and learning laboratory created by the State of Illinois, IMSA enrolls academically talented Illinois students (grades 10-12) in its advanced, residential, college preparatory program, and it serves thousands of educators and students in Illinois and beyond through innovative instructional programs that foster imagination and inquiry. IMSA also advances education through research, groundbreaking ventures and strategic partnerships. (www.imsa.edu)
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Teach World History, with an emphasis on Asian History and/or World Religions or philosophy, and possibly teaching an American Studies survey.
- Guide and tutor students outside of class
- Guide student inquiry projects
- Contribute to the team's curriculum and assessment development in history/ social science
- Participate in all faculty meetings, faculty development programs and community development days.
- Participate in the non-teaching activities that support the History/Social Science program
- Assist in the development of program
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
The required skills and experience for this position include:
- A minimum of a Master's degree in history
- An exemplary teaching record
- A strong commitment to interdisciplinary instruction
- Effective communication with students, staff, and parents
- Active participation in a collaborative team environment
- Engagement in reflective professional practice
Salary and Benefits:
Salary and benefits are commensurate with training and experience expected at this level of employment. The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package including health and retirement benefits. The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is reciprocal with other Illinois retirement systems such as the Teachers’ Retirement Systems of Illinois (TRS).
The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, religion, or national origin. This policy also includes the handicapped and all disabled Vietnam era veterans. IMSA utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.
|Secondary Categories:||World History / Studies