Pre-doctoral In-Residence Fellowship
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Connecticut, United States|
The University of Connecticut is pleased to announce a call for applications for the first Pre-doctoral In-Residence Fellowship to advance diversity in higher education. The program will support scholars from other universities while they complete their dissertation or post-MFA study for the term of an academic year. Fellows will have access to outstanding resources, faculty expertise, mentoring and other professional development opportunities. Each will host one fellow in-residence per year: The faculty in the host institutes currently hold joint-appointments in three different schools at the University: The Neag School of Education, School of Fine Arts, and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. All fellows will be appointed jointly between an institute and one of these Schools and College.
A total of four fellowships will be awarded annually:
- Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program. Further information can be found at: www.wgss.uconn.edu. (Search # 2013334)
- Asian American Studies Institute. Further information can be found at: http://asianamerican.uconn.edu/Profile/mission_statement.html. (Search # 2013295)
- Institute of Latina/o, Caribbean, and Latin American Studies. Further information can be found at: www.elin.uconn.edu. (Search # 2013331)
- Institute for African American Studies. Further information can be found at: www.iaas.uconn.edu. (Search # 2013332)
Minimum Qualifications: 1.) Be enrolled in a PhD program or be within one year post-MFA in the liberal arts and sciences, fine arts, or education field at schools other than UConn, 2.) Have passed their PhD qualifying examination and be in either the research or writing phase of an approved dissertation or in the case of post-MFA have a project to be completed within the term of a year, 3.) Be conducting research in an area that can contribute to a fellowship referenced above, and 4.) Have a demonstrated commitment to the advancement of diversity and to increasing opportunities for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
The program will provide a stipend of $27,000, medical and dental benefits, office space, library privileges, and computer access. A research/travel budget of $3,000 is also included. As part of the program terms, the fellows must be at the University of Connecticut for the duration of the fellowship and will be expected to teach one class and share their work in a public forum.
Applications for each fellowship are accepted via Husky Hire at www.jobs.uconn.edu. If you are interested in applying for more than one fellowship, you will need to submit an application directly to each opening at the Husky Hire website. Applications must include a cover letter, full curriculum vitae, a two-page teaching statement, PhD project description outlining the scope of the project, its larger significance, methodology, and timetable for completion, appropriate example of recent work not to exceed 20 pages, and three confidential letters of recommendation, one of which is from the academic advisor, sent directly in electronic form from the referees to Courtney.Wiley@uconn.edu with the applicants name in the subject line. Application deadline is March 1, 2013.
Post MFA applicants should include an appropriate project description:
- Choreographers/Dances: documentation of performance;
- Film and Video: links to works;
- Musicians: complete list of works or significant performances;
- Theatre Artists: sample of design portfolio;
- Visual Artists: 20 images;
- Writers: 2-3 short stories, 10-15 poems, or novel passages not to exceed 50 pages.
At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community. We actively encourage women, people with disabilities, and members of minority groups to apply. The University of Connecticut is an EEO/AA employer.
Apply online at http://www.jobs.uconn.edu
|Primary Category:||Women, Gender, and Sexuality
|Secondary Categories:||African American History / Studies
Asian American History / Studies
Latin American and Caribbean History / Studies