American Philosophical Society, Museum
|Location:||Pennsylvania, United States|
Part-time Research Associate, History of Science
American Philosophical Society (APS) Museum, Philadelphia
The American Philosophical Society (APS) Museum seeks a part-time curatorial and exhibitions research associate, ABD or Ph.D., History of Science. The APS Museum explores the intersections of history, art, and science through thematic exhibitions along with commissioned artistic projects and public programs that interpret the exhibitions through a contemporary lens. For more information, please visit www.apsmuseum.org.
· Research proposed exhibition topics, including object research (primary sources) and theoretical and thematic research (secondary literature); locate and examine objects in APS collections and other Philadelphia-area collections.
· Work collaboratively with other researchers to take and organize study photographs, measure object dimensions, help conceptualize thematic sections for exhibitions, organize research results, and report to Director/Curator.
· Synthesize research, produce clearly written drafts of accurate content for a wide variety of uses such as interpretive exhibition labels and panels, educational outreach, public programs, guide training, etc.
· Participate in object handling and in exhibition installation and de-installation.
· Only candidates with ABD or Ph.D. in history of science or history of art will be considered
· Excellent analytical and writing skills; experience in writing for different purposes and audiences (not limited to scholars) a plus.
· Broad interests, along with the intellectual and conceptual tools necessary for working across disciplines and time periods, and making creative connections.
· Flexibility; capacity to learn quickly and work both independently and collaboratively.
· Attention to detail in practical aspects of museum work such as handling and measuring museum objects, and in editing, fact-checking, and proofing texts.
· Strong organizational skills
· Familiarity with File Maker, Word Press, and institutional use of social media a plus.
· Museum experience preferred; interest in pursuing a career in museums a plus.
Starting date flexible. Two, three, or four days per week. Open until filled. Research Associate reports to Director/Curator.
Please submit letter, resume or c.v., and names of three references to Julianna Struck at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Primary Category:||History of Science, Medicine, and Technology